Tokyo – day one
Our budget and itinerary for our first day in Tokyo, plus what we now know about the city. Our itinerary included:
1, Sleep in after yesterday’s long flight and late arrival
2, Get to grips with new toilet technology
3, Find our way around the subway and hit Shinjuku where sweeping city views can be enjoyed from skyscrapers
4. Don’t blow too much cash
5, Eat sushi and noodles
What we learnt:
1. It’s not as expensive as you might think! – see our budget for the day at the bottom of this page
2. Everyone seems incredibly quiet, friendly and polite
3. Everything works and is clean
4. Japanese seem to be obsessed with toilets, they’re everywhere and have buttons that make strange things happen to you!
5. Getting totally lost is going to happen no matter how many maps / iPads you have
6. Tokyo doesn’t have street names and buildings are numbered according to when they were built!!! (Thanks, very helpful)
7. Japanese food is even better in Japan
8. They love beer too!!
9. Japan could easily be Germany is disguise – think efficiency, cars, and order.
10. Although the subway is huge, it’s relatively easy to navigate
11. ‘Konichiwa’ means ‘hello’ not ‘thank you’ – so stop saying it at the end of conversations Mike!
12. The internet is faster than Usain Bolt
13. Taxi drivers are cool and wear suits with shirt and tie (and I bet they wouldn’t dare try and rip us off if we ever took one)
14. There are more rules and laws to abide by than anywhere else we know, and even more officials to monitor them!
15. Smokers are not allowed to enjoy their habit whilst walking
16. Vending machines are everywhere – and even sell meals
17. The world’s biggest pendulum clock is in Tokyo – the Guinness book says so
Our budget for the day:
Travel expenses: Subway to Shinjuku station and back (for 2 adults) 760 Yen ($7.80 / £5 / €5.90)
A good breakfast provided by the hotel – free
Lunch for 2 – sushi from a department store – 450 Yen ($4.60 / £3 / €3.50)
Dinner for 2 – Noodles and curry in a cheap restaurant – 860 Yen ($8.90 / £5.70 / €6.70)
Other drinks / snacks and 2 beers for the evening – 1090 Yen ($11.20 / £7.30 / €8.50)
Total for the day: 3160 Yen ($32.70 / £21.10 / €24.50)